On Friday the first trailer for next summer’s ‘The Jungle Cruise’ was released. Starring Dwayne ‘the Rock’ Johnson and Emily Blunt, the movie is already expected to be a huge hit with major franchise potential. Dustin breaks down this first trailer and predicts what we can expect when the film is released next summer.
Wow, what a trailer right? I watched it three times just to make sure there was nothing I missed. 2:13 may not seem like much for a trailer but as a teaser this is the perfect way to introduce audiences to what is sure to be one of 2020’s biggest movies. Let’s take a closer look at everything that’s going on in:
- 0:00-0:30- Getting serious ‘The Mummy’ (1999) vibes with this library setting. Other similarities include; Accomplished British actress playing the lead and balancing on a ladder before tipping into everything.
- 0:31-0:59- The Rock scamming tourists is a plot that I would watch 1000 variations of.
- 1:00-1:05- “The Backside of Water.” If this movie is just two hours of Dwayne the Rock Johnson as the ultimate Jungle Cruise skipper and saying all of the famous quotes from the ride, it’s already the greatest movie ever. I may buy a ticket, watch it and then buy a ticket to the next show immediately after.
- 1:05-1:21- I have a feeling “I have a lot of money” and the Rock’s subsequent reaction is going to be an extremely popular meme/reaction video for months.
- 1:22- I get that marketing needs to kick into gear early for giant movies like this but seeing “Next Summer” on a preview in October is still a bummer.
- 1:23-1:30- Looks like we’re going the Pirates of the Caribbean route. Can’t have a Disney ride turned into a tentpole franchise without a good curse.
- 1:31-1:42- It’s been less than 120 seconds of video, but I can just feel that Emily Blunt and the Rock are going to have off the charts comedic timing and chemistry.
- 1:43- We know who he is you cowards. You don’t ever have to put his name in a trailer again. His big bald head is like a Bat Signal that whether it’s a good movie or not, he’s going to do really cool things and be endlessly likable.
- 1:44-1:53- Emily Blunt is probably one of the only actresses alive that can bounce between movies like this, ‘A Quiet Place,’ and ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ and be completely believable in them all. Also, if she actually punched the Rock in real life I would bet he’d have that exact reaction.
- 1:54-2:02- This movie looks like it’s going to have tons of giant set pieces and action sequences and looks like it’s going to be a ton of fun. It’s also going to print money in merchandise.
Producer at Disney: “Remember how in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ the curse made them all skeleton monsters? I’m thinking what if for this movie, follow me here, what if the curse made the bad guys snake monsters?”
Another Disney Producer: “Oh my god. That’s the greatest thing I’ve ever heard. Done.”
The Jungle Cruise is one of the most iconic rides at Disneyland and it makes sense that they’d want to turn it into a tentpole movie franchise. While this first trailer makes it look like it’s tonally going to be all over the place, it has Dwayne ‘the Rock’ Johnson and Emily Blunt as its’ stars. There doesn’t even need to be a script for this to be successful. Two hours of witty banter between the two stars with some crazy CGI and action sequences is more than enough to make this a must-see.
Plus, it’s got the Rock. If the Rock makes it, the audience will come.
Dustin Brewer is a freelance writer and co-editor at HefferBrew. Follow him on Twitter and be sure to follow HefferBrew for all the latest movie news.